Current Progress

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Asparagus Salad and Soup

My grampa made an Asparagus and Tomato Salad while my cousin Anthony made an Asparagus and Crab soup.

Asparagus Salad
My family has really helped me out in my quest to find good healthy alternatives. Asparagus is a vegetable that I really love - which is highly versatile in cooking. Asparagus is low in calories, contains no fat or cholesterol, and is very low in sodium. It is a good source of folic acid, potassium, dietary fiber, and rutin.

The asparagus was boiled in salt water - crisp tender only about 3-4 min. The salad dressing included diced tomatoes, dijon mustard, olive oil, onion, olives, and capers. A little bit of salt and pepper on the top.
I'll double check with him if I'm missing anything. Anyway it was delicious!!

Asparagus Crab Soup
My cousin's homework over the holidays was to cook for the family. I guess he passes if he doesn't poison all of us. I've never had this soup before but it was delicious and am eager to make it again! So for this soup, you put the asparagus through a food processor to make it very finely shredded. Use some crab meat, I'd prefer if its fresh - but i think canned crab meat (also shredded in pieces) will do just fine. Also add scallops. In a big pot of water, put in salt/pepper to taste, some chicken broth and your asparagus and seafood. Bring to a boil and crack in some eggs while stirring - this will give you the egg drop effect. And there you have it. Grind in some fresh peppers when serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment