Current Progress

Friday, July 10, 2009

Greek Salad, Spinach and Cod



So I've arrived in my new home after an awesome road trip up the West Coast. The one week road trip included Burney Falls, Crater Lake, Oregon Sand Dunes, Mount St Helen's and finally Vancouver. I'll write more about that as soon as I get pictures up.

I apologize for the break in blogging but I'm baack and have an amazing dinner to share with you. After a month of traveling, eating out, packing, unpacking I have been itching to cook sooo badly. So here it is, my first (very delicious) meal in my new city!

Traditional Greek Salad
I've always enjoyed greek salad but have never tried to make it !! It was definitely delicious.

Dressing: combine olive oil, squeezed lemon juice, crushed garlic, pinch of sugar, salt and pepper.

Cut up cubes of feta cheese, green leaf lettuce into strips, roma tomatoes sliced into fourths, round slices of cucumber, pitted black olives, chopped basil/parsely.

Mixed it all up and seriously it was better than any greek salad I've ever had in stores. Actually I thought that the recipe was missing onions and that it was rather odd to see lettuce in a greek salad, but the flavours and textures really worked well with each other.

Cod with Spinach, Pine nuts and Raisins
I was not impressed with the expensive piece of cod we bought but that's ok. To cook fish, I just put it in some aluminum foil and soak in some olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic, basil - essentially everything I needed for the greek salad :) Preheat the oven to 350 and baked for 20 min.

Now the kicker is the spinach side, it was soooo delicious. We washed a big bag of spinach (1-1.5lb), soaked raisins in water, toasted a gigantic pile of pine nuts (1/2 cup). Cook the spinach with oil until its wilted (5 min) and add the drained raisins and pine nuts. Keep cooking till the water evaporates.

All I can say is, yummmmy.

No comments:

Post a Comment