Current Progress

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Kale Saag


Woo!! My first Indian cooking session was a great success!! My roommate's birthday was yesterday so I offered to make something with my vegetables! She suggested Saag with my Kale and Spinach which I had never heard of before and off I went on google search. A bunch of recipes called for chopping, steaming then putting it in the food processor. Others called for coconut milk. While cooking, I forgot to do all of the above :) So here's my Kale & Spinach Saag recipe. Authentic Indian or not? No gurantees! But I think it was well received.

I put 1 onion, some ginger and garlic into the food processor to quickly chop for me. I de-stemmed and thoroughly washed my CSA delivery of spinach and kale and leeks. Heat up some olive oil in a pan and put in the ginger, garlic and onion. Add in some ground cumin and tumeric. As the onion turns more translucent, I started adding in the greens (spinach, kale and leeks). Moving it constantly back and forth until they turned more green and soft. I put some water in and put a lid on top. I stirred occasionally checking if it's become nice and soft. Thats about it!

My roommate made okra which starts out the same as my Saag. Ginger, garlic, onion. Add in the okra in low heat and wait until the stickiness is gone.

There was also some baked salmon and chicken and of course I've been trying to finish my costco smoked salmon so I added that as well! Top it with some brown rice and we had ourselves a good meal...at 11pm!

I'm off to Barcelona for a week! Can't wait to try the seafood and vegetarian fare there!

No comments:

Post a Comment