Current Progress

Monday, May 11, 2009

Full Moon at Mission Peak


We had an eventful Friday night when we finally made it to Mission Peak at 9pm. 2 hours behind schedule of course. So I've done this hike a couple times but never started in pitch black. At least I had a headlamp this time and more people to intimidate the cows. Geesh, the cows are very aggressive and loud at night. Not to mention how scary they look as big fat blobs all lined up to attack you in the moonlight.

Anyway, first we weren't impressed that we couldn't find this full moon. Then about an hour into the hike, the moon appeared. It rose so fast, I'd never seen anything like it. Suddenly we didn't even need flash lights or head lamps (except to watch out for cows and rattlesnakes). It was a surreal experience seeing the cows and everyone in the moonlight. We didn't quite make it up to the top though as we found some friends heading down 3/4 of the way up.

I really recommend Mission Peak as a full moon hike. I think it was less painful because we couldn't see the steep incline that we were walking on. I slept like a baby...only to wake up and hike again. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment